Reacting to the action taken by the Sports Ministry against the newly elected Wrestling Federation of India, former Indian wrestler Sakshi Malik on Sunday said that the government’s decision to suspend the World Wrestling Federation is for the betterment of the wrestlers. She also dropped a hint about a possible change in her decision to retire, news agency ANI reported.
The former Indian wrestler also dropped a hint about a possible change in her decision to retire following the government’s decision to suspend the newly elected body.
“I will inform you of the decision according to the federation that will be formed,” Sakshi was quoted as saying by ANI news agency.
Sakshi said that the fight of the wrestlers is not with the government.
Sakshi also said she had not seen anything in writing about the newly elected body suspending WFI or Sanjay Singh.
“I haven’t seen anything written yet. I don’t know if it was just Sanjay Singh who was suspended or the entire body was suspended. Our fight was not with the government. Our fight is for women wrestlers. I have announced my retirement.” “But I want the upcoming wrestlers to get justice,” she said.
Meanwhile, WFI President Sanjay Singh announced that the U-15 and U-20 teams will be hosted in Nandini Nagar in Gond district of Uttar Pradesh by the end of the year.
The Ministry of Sports issued a press release in which it described the decision of the International Sports Federation to host the competition as “a complete disregard for sports law.”
“The decisions taken by the newly elected executive body of the World Sports Federation show a blatant disregard for applicable legal and procedural standards, which constitutes a violation of both the constitutional provisions of the FIFA and the National Sports Development Law. The newly elected body appears to have complete control over the former federation,” the ministry added. : “Office officials are in complete disregard of the Sports Law. “The business of the union is conducted from premises controlled by the former officials.”
Earlier this week, Sanjay Singh, an aide to former WFI president Brij Bhushan Charan Singh, was elected as the body’s new chairman. Hours after the WFI results were announced, the 2016 Olympic bronze medalist announced her subsequent retirement from the sport.
“Yeh ladai dil se ladi hai (We have fought this fight with all our might). If Brij Bhushan’s business partner is going to be a part of WFI, then I will quit wrestling. I thank all the Indians who have supported me all this time. I am grateful to all the Indians who have supported me all this time,” Sakshi said during a joint press conference with Vignesh Phogat and Bajrang. Bonya.
Open a world of benefits! From helpful newsletters to real-time inventory tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed – it’s all here, with just one click! Log in now!
Get all the sports news and updates on Live Mint. Download the Mint News app for daily market updates and live business news.
Published: 24 December 2023 06:09 PM IST